[LMH]CADR software/images?

Robert Swindells rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 07:32:00 2004

Chris Daniels wrote:
>Robert Swindells wrote:

>> "This may not make sense, but I would say the business model currently
>> being persued by the person who owns Symbolics does not allow for any
>> such entrepreneurial projects."

I didn't write this, Brad Parker did.

>My ex-wife was one of the last employees of Symbolics, and I beleive that
>when she was let go, the ownership of Symbolics (technically) was by the
>Boston Law firm Ropes and Grey.  The "person in charge" had some ambitions
>for the software, but I think it's safe to say they don't have a business
>model to speak of. Simultaneously they remain in a strong position to
>protect their intellectual properties.
>I hope this might clarify the nature of the enormous barriers to releasing
>any of the software. (including the Macsyma software)

I wasn't suggesting that Symbolics release anything.

What I was suggesting was that Symbolics are (presumably) short of
software developers, while a small group of people have been interested
in working on lispm type environments.

Some of those interested could form a company or not-for-profit and
contract to port OpenGenera to other platforms for Symbolics, with
payment being in licences to use the finished product.

Symbolics would then be in a position to sell OpenGenera on platforms
other than Alpha.

Robert Swindells