[LMH]CADR software/images?

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav@sakura.lunar-tokyo.net
Fri Aug 27 12:37:01 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Nyef wrote:

> We have supposedly-bootable images for the Exp1 and the uExp. We have
> partial source sets for the entire Exp series (looks like the same code
> supports all three systems, but is missing the ucode, uassembler, and
> cold load tools). I'm not familiar with the current situation in regards
> to the Symbolics 3600 and later machines, but given that you can still
> buy the systems used it should be possible to get a bootable disk image.
> And there's this LM-2 source tape, which is apparently complete but
> unbuildable.

From what I understand, emulating Symbolics machines is off-limits as
Symbolics still exists and still does business.

> Now, Al Kossow has a CADR, but the disks are too old to spin up, so
> that's not where we get an image from. We basically have three chances
> to get a working CADR image: First, someone finds a dumpable tape or
> disk with the compiled system on it. Second, someone manages to compile
> the LM-2 sources from MACLISP running on ITS in an emulator (may not
> work, the code might have drifted too far from being able to cross-build
> that way). Third, it might be possible to hack up the compiler and build
> tools to run on a modern lisp system, use that to create fasls and then
> a full drive image.

I have a KS10 but I don't have any disks, so that probably doesn't help.
I had two RM03s but I crashed them because I am a dumbass. (Moved them
from New York to Illinois without setting the head locks, then crashed
all my disk packs figuring out how I'd screwed up, which included
scratching a real ITS disk pack. I felt like shooting myself afterward.)

What's the current problem with E1 emulation?