[LMH]CADR software/images?

Nyef nyef@softhome.net
Fri Aug 27 12:25:01 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 02:45:59PM -0500, Daniel Seagraves wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Nyef wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding that a few people have copies of an LM-2
> > source tape image, but that the source is unbuildable due to there
> > not being a working LM-2 or CADR system to build them from.
> >
> > You're thinking of building a CADR microcode emulator, aren't you?
>
> Considering it, but it's kinda pointless if the software doesn't exist.
>
> Let me ask a different question - What machines DO have software
> obtainable? So far just the Explorer 1?

We have supposedly-bootable images for the Exp1 and the uExp. We have
partial source sets for the entire Exp series (looks like the same code
supports all three systems, but is missing the ucode, uassembler, and
cold load tools). I'm not familiar with the current situation in regards
to the Symbolics 3600 and later machines, but given that you can still
buy the systems used it should be possible to get a bootable disk image.
And there's this LM-2 source tape, which is apparently complete but
unbuildable.

Now, Al Kossow has a CADR, but the disks are too old to spin up, so
that's not where we get an image from. We basically have three chances
to get a working CADR image: First, someone finds a dumpable tape or
disk with the compiled system on it. Second, someone manages to compile
the LM-2 sources from MACLISP running on ITS in an emulator (may not
work, the code might have drifted too far from being able to cross-build
that way). Third, it might be possible to hack up the compiler and build
tools to run on a modern lisp system, use that to create fasls and then
a full drive image.

--Alastair Bridgewater.