[LMH]CADR software/images?

Robert Swindells rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 13:39:00 2004

Daniel Seagraves wrote
>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Nyef wrote:

>> We have supposedly-bootable images for the Exp1 and the uExp. We have
>> partial source sets for the entire Exp series (looks like the same code
>> supports all three systems, but is missing the ucode, uassembler, and
>> cold load tools). I'm not familiar with the current situation in regards
>> to the Symbolics 3600 and later machines, but given that you can still
>> buy the systems used it should be possible to get a bootable disk image.
>> And there's this LM-2 source tape, which is apparently complete but
>> unbuildable.

There is also the LMI source tree.

>From what I understand, emulating Symbolics machines is off-limits as
>Symbolics still exists and still does business.

I made a suggestion a while back that someone or small group of people
could make a business proposal to new Symbolics to port OpenGenera to
AMD64 and/or G5 in exchange for X number of licences to use the result.

>> Now, Al Kossow has a CADR, but the disks are too old to spin up, so
>> that's not where we get an image from. We basically have three chances
>> to get a working CADR image: First, someone finds a dumpable tape or
>> disk with the compiled system on it. Second, someone manages to compile
>> the LM-2 sources from MACLISP running on ITS in an emulator (may not
>> work, the code might have drifted too far from being able to cross-build
>> that way). Third, it might be possible to hack up the compiler and build
>> tools to run on a modern lisp system, use that to create fasls and then
>> a full drive image.

>I have a KS10 but I don't have any disks, so that probably doesn't help.
>I had two RM03s but I crashed them because I am a dumbass. (Moved them
>from New York to Illinois without setting the head locks, then crashed
>all my disk packs figuring out how I'd screwed up, which included
>scratching a real ITS disk pack. I felt like shooting myself afterward.)

I have booted ITS on the simh emulator, lack of hardware shouldn't be
the sticking point.

>What's the current problem with E1 emulation?

Which emulator ?

Exploiter is stuck at trying to work out what one of the options to
switch a stack group needs to do.

Nevermore is probably only suffering from too much real life.

I have been a bit too busy with learning how to program FPGAs and
with some family stuff to do anything for the last few months.

Robert Swindells