[LMH]Memory Board Size

Nyef nyef@softhome.net
Mon Sep 2 12:51:01 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Andreas Eder wrote:

> Hi,

Hello.

> recently I had some free time to study the SSDN2 and found something
> that I do not understand.
> In teh section about Hardware there is stated that memory boards come
> in sizes between 2 and 32 Mb. But there is also a sentence about the
> address ranges of the boards stating that for a board in slot s the
> addresses are 0xFS000000 up to 0xFSFFFFFF. An if I'm not totally
> mistaken that is just a range of 16 Mb. So where is my fault?
> I hpe someone can enlighten me.

One enlightenment, coming right up:

For boards larger than a certain size (8 megs, I believe), there is a base
address configuration register that will map the entire memory space of
the board to lower in the NuBus address space. See find-memory-board-size
in memory-management/vm-boot.lisp for more details.

> Ciao,
>
> 'Andreas

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net