[LispM-Hackers] Enabled paging on bare iron

John Morrison jm@mak.mak.com
Fri Apr 12 21:07:01 2002

Hi Guys;

In case anybody cares, a small milestone...  I have enabled paging, so
that now I can do some (albeit limited at this time) memory map MMU
type hackery.  Took awhile before the code was, er, bug-free enough
(thought I wasn't going to qualify that, eh?) to actually have the
thing not reset itself as soon as I enabled paging.  Let's just say I
learned to dread that SNAP that a multi-sync monitor makes when the
box resets itself.  (My page tables were screwed up, and that confused
the box in a Major Way.)

Thank God for the suggestion from the list members to use the serial
port instead of the VGA console -- else the critical debugging
information would've vanished in less than a heartbeat -- much faster
than I could've read it.

It's also amazing what you can do after kids go to sleep.

Anyways, I need to map in the linear frame buffer, de-kludge the code
some more, run some more tests, try and cause some paging error,
etc. and generally add in functionality.  Will see how much time I get
this weekend.

-jm

--
==== John Morrison