[LispM-Hackers] Downtime apology

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Fri Apr 12 20:09:01 2002

Hi all...

Due to some random lossage involving a *really* stale Hed Rat 6.2
Linux installation and attempts involving GCC 2.95.3 bugs and GNU libc
2.2.5, my main workstation lost all sense of coherency and started to
coredump at absolutely random moments.  This necessitated a complete
rebuild, and anxious to remain distribution-independent (a not
sneeze-attable position in the Linux world) I endeavored upon
rebuilding my box from scratch.  Really from scratch.  As in compiling
everything from libc up in a chroot jail and copying bits and pieces
back and forth across drives.  (And hosing boot blocks in the
process...)

Needless to say I'm still at it three days later.  I finally have X
working.  I guess you pay dearly for using nonstandard software.  (I'm
using XFS patched into kernel 2.4.16 and all my partitions are XFS,
including /.)  Until I can get XEmacs compiled again, and get a few
other things working to where I can develop comfortably, I won't be
able to put in any time on E3.  Not that I've been doing a whole hell
of a lot lately.  But suffice to say that I'm still having trouble
with basic things like Emacs over a telnet session...

The nice thing is that everything runs *really* fast now that I've
compiled it all at O2 with no debugging or frame pointers, and using
686 instructions...  The speed difference is *very* noticeable.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W