[LMH] Re: [LMH]Nevermore (well, exploiter actually)

Mark J. Dulcey mark@buttery.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:27:58 -0400

Paul Fuqua wrote:

> My understanding was that the original LMI Lambdas were indeed
> CADRs.  The later Lambda/E model was a rebadged Explorer.  I think we
> had LMI microcode running on Explorers -- certainly LMI did -- but I
> don't know what degree of porting was required.

The LMI Lambda evolved from the CADR, but it was not identical. It used
a 64-bit microword word (longer than the CADR, which was either 48 or 56
bits; I don't remember), and supported 64K words of microcode instead of
the 16K supported by the CADR. The larger microcode store was meant to
allow use of the microcompiler (a compiler that turned Lisp into
microcode, with a lot of data type restrictions), but I don't think
anybody ever did much with that. The other novel feature of the Lambda
was the macro IR decode RAM (a 64K-word RAM with an entry for every
possible 16-bit instruction pattern!) -- a brute force solution to the
problem of decoding the rather baroque LM instruction set.

>     Yeah, the reason we don't have the microcode, the microcode assembler,
>     or the genasys utility is that nobody could find a copy. Gone. All gone.

It's a pity that nobody seems to have turned up a working Lambda. Those
routinely shipped with full system sources, all the way down to the
microcode, though some customers didn't bother with the full sources
because they didn't have enough disk space for them.