[LMH] Re: [LMH]Nevermore (well, exploiter actually)

nyef@sc.am nyef@sc.am
Thu, 20 May 2004 04:49:58 -0500

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 01:52:40PM -0500, Paul Fuqua wrote:

> Projects were being named after birds at that time.  Raven was the
> original Explorer codename.  Somewhere along the line it was
> semi-officially renamed Chaparral, that being a more "Southwestern"
> bird;  some folks have little Chaparral pins from those days.  Then
> marketing got it and named it Explorer.

Well, that explains the process-scheduler-for-chaparral thing. I had
originally written that off as being a custom hack for some specific
person that ended up in the main system, not realizing that it was a
bird name, but this makes more sense.

> What we do have are some paper copies of VM1 microcode source, and
> some Explorer 1 microcode development tools, and scattered fragments
> of other stuff.  I thought Genasys was part of the regular system
> source, but then that just builds the load band, it's not part of the
> microcode system.

Hey, while I've got your attention, do you know anything about the way
that unmapped memory accesses on Raven update the memory maps? One of
the VMA tests is checking for it fairly explicitly, but it's not doing
it with sufficient coverage for me to figure out what's going on, and
the only other reference I've found is a couple figures in SSDN2 which
provide descriptions of the various bit positions that need updating
(the last-access-mapped bit in the level-1 map and the TM0 and TM1 bits
in the level-2 map). As near as I can tell, the TM0 and TM1 bits are
always going to be 0 for a mapped access (since it's wordwise), but
beyond that I'm kindof at a loss.

--Alastair