[LMH]Nevermore

nyef@sc.am nyef@sc.am
Fri May 21 08:02:01 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 04:18:22PM +0100, Rob Myers wrote:
> On Friday, May 21, 2004, at 05:27AM, <nyef@sc.am> wrote:
>
> Hello to the list.

Hello.

> I'm new to this, but very interested, and I know Macs. :-)

Believe it or not, so do we. Mr. Swindells and myself are both on the
NetBSD/mac68k mailing list, and have been known to do the occasional bit
of kernel hacking.

> What in particular does the system rely on the Mac running in 24-bit mode for? If it's using the MacOS APIs, the calls to strip handles (etc) become do-nothings under 32-bit MacOS.

The calls to SetMMUMode() are used to set the mode to 24 or 32 bits
explicitly and they don't save the current mode setting. Beyond that I
suspect it was just that the machines at the time didn't support 32-bit
mode for user code. I'd make an unflattering comment, but the people who
did the damage might see it and I might need their help later. ^_-

> - Rob.

--Alastair