[LMH]Nevermore

Rob Myers robmyers@mac.com
Fri May 21 07:19:01 2004

On Friday, May 21, 2004, at 05:27AM, <nyef@sc.am> wrote:

>The first thing that comes to mind is "Dear lord this is nasty". The
>most horribly K&R C I've seen in ages, half of the system in Pascal as
>well, it -is- a NuPI simulator, and they depend absolutely on the system
>not only being 24-bit capable (not true of the later machines) but also
>running in 24-bit mode (if memory serves, not true of System 7). It
>might be possible to get an MX running on a more recent machine
>(possibly even a powermac), but it'd require basically rewriting all of
>the MacOS-side code.

Hello to the list.

I'm new to this, but very interested, and I know Macs. :-)

System 7 *can* do 24-bit (there's a radio button in the memory manager control panel) but IIRC only on 68k Macs.So the most recent machine would be a Quadra (68040), not a PowerMac.

Only very early PowerMacs had NuBus (all 68ks did), more recent ones have PCI.

68k code is interpreted transparently by the 68k virtual machine on PowerPC MacOS up to MacOS 9.X and under Classic on MacOS X. You can run System 7 under Mac-on-Linux under PowerPC Linux, but only the PowerPC version (obviously...). There are 68k Mac software emulators available.

What in particular does the system rely on the Mac running in 24-bit mode for? If it's using the MacOS APIs, the calls to strip handles (etc) become do-nothings under 32-bit MacOS.

- Rob.