[LMH] Re: [LMH]CADR software/images?

Robert Swindells rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:20:01 +0100 (BST)

Brad Parker wrote:
>I know many people are interested in a new lisp-os or other forward
>looking things.  I am not (yet) interested in that.  I'm still far too
>interested in the old machines and running them.  I love my lispms :-)

My feeling is that starting from scratch is hard. I like playing with
older stuff too.

>I'm enjoying the notion of sucking the CADR netlist files into a
>modern synthesis tool and using one of the cheap FPGA w/sdram eval
>boards to fire up nuevo-cadr.  There's certainly enough ram in most
>modern parts to hold all the microcode.  It's a sick idea but a fun
>one...

I would be amazed if you could do anything automatically.

Creating a CPU in a HDL seems to be a fairly common student project
at the moment, I only know of one microcoded one though.

You use up the ram in a FPGA fairly quickly if your microcode is 64
bits wide, I have been doing the sums.

Robert Swindells