[LMH]Symbolics 3650

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis@mailbag.com
Thu May 1 18:19:01 2003

Chad Dougherty wrote:

> What would be a reasonable price for a Symbolics 3650 with 4 megawords
> of memory, a 750 meg SMD disk, and Genera 8.3?  Someone has one
> locally.  He is asking $800 for it.  That seems kinda high, but I
> don't have experience with such things.

Well, I don't know if this is much help but... if I had the money I'd
pay irregardless of the "official" value as long as the machine actually
worked. Once you've used to any LM, well, it's suddenly worth it. It
really depends on how much you can afford the $800. As I said, if I had
it in hand, I'd be asking you this person's email address.

If 8.3 boots and you can pull up and inspector and get even (+ 1 1) to
evaluate to 2, well...

In a real sense, this is as low end a machine as you can get but not as
low end a price as is possible...  A MacIvory or even UX400 can still be
bought from Symbolics. OTOH, this is a known quantity. 6 of one, half a
dozen of the other: So how bad do you want a Symbolics?