[LMH]microcode rom

Michael Larson mklarson@mac.com
Tue Dec 30 13:12:01 2003

Thanks, found it. Any idea on what the format is? If the EII used a 64
bit 16k microcoded RAM then the size would be about 128k... it probably
has some of the dispatch table stuff in there also.

As a point of history I took my first AI class on an Explorer II
machine, although my focus was on a BSEE and couldn't wait to be done
with the class, I have re-discovered Lisp in the past few months and
this looks like a fun project.

The idea I had for the microcode was to parse the microcode
instructions into a C (or asm) switch statement based on the decode of
the instruction for each case statement, this would provide a nice fall
back to emulate the dispatch table used by the lisp compiler. On newer
processors it would be better just to churn through the assembled code
and avoid as much decode (branches) as possible.

It would be nice to boot my G5 to a VM that could access all 8 GBytes
physical or 64 TeraBytes virtual.

Cheers,

Mike