[LMH]microcode rom

Nyef nyef@softhome.net
Tue Dec 30 08:57:01 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:27:03AM -0800, Michael Larson wrote:
> I am not sure how active this list is as the last results were posted
> 2001, but here goes.

That sounds suspicious. I can well believe that the last CVS checkin on
E3 was in 2001, but almost everything else has been worked on at some
point this year.

Checking the mailing list archives shows that we last had activity on
the 10th of December, this year.

Things actually have been kindof slow recently, though. Maybe the new
year will get us somwhere...

> Is there a copy of the Explorer II microcode available? I would like to
> do some experimenting with run time compiling the microcode to a jump
> table for execution on the G4.

I believe we may have an E2 microload around somewhere. What we don't
have for the E2 are the boot proms or the CPU NuBus config ROM.

http://www.unlambda.com/lispm/explorer-source/explorer-lispm-sources/ubin/
should have the file you are looking for, specifically exp2_ucode.mcr.

I must say that from what little I've done with the PPC, it feels like
it would be a -wonderful- target for a microcode interpreter. Or a
dynarec setup for the microcode. The fact that it actually supports
most of the complex action of the BYTE instruction natively is great.

> Thanks,
>
> Mike Larson

--Alastair Bridgewater