[LMH]microexplorer fonts

Hans Hübner hans@huebner.org
Sat Aug 30 22:55:01 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Al Kossow wrote:

> Installing fonts on systems before Sys7 required that you copy them into the
> System file with the font/da mover application

This was the hint I needed.  Previously I fumbled around with ResEdit to add
the font.  Using Font/DA mover, I could add the fonts to the system file
cleanly and now my MicroExplorer runs just fine.  Thanks to all of you and Al
especially.

My MicroExplorer lives in a Mac IIci running System 6.0.8.  I don't have a
good graphics card at the moment, so my display resolution is too low.  I also
fear that the machine will overheat because it does not have ventilation
openings above the slot which holds the MicroExplorer.  I'll propably add them
myself.

As someone asked:  To host a MicroExplorer, you need a Mac II, IIx, IIcx, IIci
or IIfx with the IIfx being the fastest option.  The IIcx and IIci are very
compact but only have three Nubus slots.  Right enough if you want a highres
graphics adapter and an Ethernet board in addition to the MicroExplorer.  In
order to fit the MicroExplorer in, you'll have to modify the speaker assembly
a bit in order to make room for the board.  The original Mac II case has room
for six Nubus cards.

Speaking of video cards:  The on-board video adapter of the IIci supports only
640x480 and a Mac variant thereof.  The other suitable machines do not have
on-board video.  You will need to find a better video card.

Helpful information about older Macs can be found on
http://www.lowendmac.com/early-macs.html

A pretty well-sorted site on System6 is
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/system_6_heaven.html

Thanks again,