[LispM-Hackers] Outageness

Dave Richards dave@synergy.org
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:55:53 -0800

> Paul Fuqua wrote:
> >
> >     Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:48:22 -0500
> >     From: jm@mak.com
> >
> >     Can you please either elaborate or point me at a section of any
> >     available documentation?
> >
> > I figure that paging doesn't really have to be emulated in great
> > detail.  I mean, we get a virtual address and go find it in the band or
> > swap space, and don't have to worry about page faults or disk
> > operations.
>
> I think I understand you, and, if I do, I agree with you.

There are two aspects to VM, relocate and over-commit.  As previously noted,
over-commit is not a problem today given the cost of memory at high
capacity.  Relocate we probably can't do much about as the Lisp code is
aware of it.  Since modern OSes support overcommit themselves, this
strengthens the argument for it.  However, the non-OS variant would need to
support this if it ran an a system with less than 128M+ memory.  Thus, it
makes sense to keep enough class structure in place so that the non-OS
version can implement it.

	Dave