[LispM-Hackers] Outageness

Robert Swindells rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:39:22 GMT

Paul Fuqua wrote;
>    Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:09:04 -0500 (EST)
>    From: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
>
>    I certainly agree that for an emulator usable to run the system _as a
>    system_, you most likely will want a macroinstruction level emulator.

>Well, that is my interest.  I'd like to perpetuate the Explorer
>environment.  I used to write microcode for the darn thing so that
>aspect is less interesting to me now.  (But fast simulators are a
>current interest, and the SIMICS people are doing good things with
>system simulation, and Explorers only ran at 6, 25, or 40 MHz so
>reasonable performance is reachable with a reasonable slowdown factor.
>Hmm.)

I can't see the point in doing anything other than a macroinstruction
level emulator so as to be able to boot the complete environment.

Microcode level emulation is likely to be too slow (and too hard).

Once you start trying to retarget the compiler, or add a ffi, you may
as well just port the higher level code to run on top of CMUCL.

Robert Swindells