[LMH]change in Makefile

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Mon Apr 29 18:49:01 2002

Nyef <nyef@softhome.net> writes:

> On 29 Apr 2002, James A. Crippen wrote:
>
> > There's no easy way to make this sort of stuff portable without going
> > to autoconf and automake.  Which I don't think we're ready for yet.
> >
> > I've committed a patch to e3/Makefile that adds an $(INCLUDES)
> > variable and uses this var in the depend target.  Didn't use it on the
> > .cc.o target because it doesn't seem to be necessary (ie, GCC figures
> > this out on its own).
>
> James, I know you suggested this yourself at one point, but what about
> switching from makedepend to gcc -MM? It's a lot more likely to just plain
> work without these sorts of hassles.

I think there is resistance since not everybody might be using GCC.
Of course, the problem here is how to make the makefile smart enough
to decide whether to use 'gcc -MM' or 'makedepend' depending on what's
available.

We're getting to the point of needing autoconf and automake, as I
said before.  I'd just rather not make that step yet if possible,
mostly because it would clutter things up.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W