DNS Lossage (was Re: Backup tape for review)

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Mon Apr 22 21:27:00 2002

Paul Fuqua <pf@ti.com> writes:

> Is it just me, or is DNS messed up for kappa?  A lookup for
> kappa.unlambda.com gives two addresses in the 10.x.x.x space, which
> is reserved for internal nets.  However, the non-authoritative name
> server giving those addresses, ns.unlambda.com, is at 24.237.2.36;
> if I FTP to that address it answers as kappa.

Ah, I thought I explained that before...  I should stop referring to
'kappa', too.  This is all on purpose, I assure you.  ^_^;

Basically when I changed ISPs in February I needed to go from a fairly
low-noise network (ie, little scanning, cracking, worms, etc) to a
fairly high-noise one.  This necessitated the installation of a
firewall.  The firewall does port forwarding with filtering for
kappa's various services, eg http, ftp, telnet, ssh, etc.

The downside is that kappa still wants to be kappa, and the firewall
can't be kappa as well.  So the firewall has the external IP address
and kappa now only exists on the internal network.

To get to kappa use any of the external names, ie cvs, www, ftp, etc.
Actually you can just use 'unlambda.com' itself as well, 'cause that
points to the same address as all the others.

Let me know if anyone experiences more DNS lossage.

OBTW, I should mention that I just flushed the '[Lispm-Hackers]'
prependage string from the subject line on posts to the list.  It was
beginning to annoy both me and others.  Please update any regexps you
have that use this string.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W