[LispM-Hackers] Latex

Emmanuel Rialland eriallan@bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 23 06:33:01 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 10:23, you wrote:
> Emmanuel Rialland <eriallan@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> > I am currently going through the archive of the mailing list to spot
> > any commentary enlightening, clarifying or debugging parts of SSDN.
>
> I'm sure I have even older archives of correspondence, particularly
> between JM, PF, Ford, and me, but I don't know where I've put them.
> If I can get a couple hours to hunt for them I'm sure I'll find them
> somewhere in my archives of cruft on my home box.  I'll put them
> somewhere when I can.

Don't worry too much. I have the archives starting March 2001. That is enough
to keep me busy for  a while. I am spending full time to look for a new job
now so my spare time is limited.

> Beware, you guys.  All those crazy and embarassing things you said are
> about to come back to haunt you, just like Google did to Usenet.  O_o
>
> > The intent is to insert those straight on the tex files (as
> > footnotes, side boxes...) to centralise the documentation as much as
> > possible (James: I agree that is the best).
>
> It would certainly help to simplify things.
>
> I'm thinking of something like the 'Changebar' package, similar to
> what GLS used in the CLtL2 book.  You can see what was original and
> what is new since the new stuff has a changebar notation in the
> margin.

Is that a standard Latex package?

> > Being French and being at a loss to understand the US I-love-patents and
> > sue-your-neighbour state of mind, I am happily playing with those at
> > home,
>
> Most American people don't understand this state of mind either,
> except for marketroids, suits, and politicians.
>
> The Japanese love patents, btw, but for different reasons.  It takes
> *a lot* longer for a Japanese patent to clear than it does for an
> American one.  This gives *years* of time between filing (when the
> patent application is made public) to when the patent is approved.
> With adroit production and marketing the original developers of many
> patented items have been driven out of business long before their
> patent is approved.  They're usually gone by the time of approval, and
> the winners just buy the patent from the losers...
>
> So many Japanese inventors wisely avoid patents.  Americans are
> starting to do the same, bit by bit, for similar reasons...

I was half joking, more reflecting on your earlier comments about keeping
things discreet with TI for a while and not existing anybody unnecessarily.

> > but I suspect I will need to clearly (1) separate copyrights between
> > the original text and additions and (2) get the appropriate
> > authorisations from the relevant authors of those mails ???
>
> Uh, we should just say something like what applies to Usenet: "If you
> post to the mailing list you have basically given up any copyrights
> and have put your text in the public domain except for quotes which
> belong to their respective copyright holders."
>
> Anyone have a different opinion?  If you really want to claim
> copyright on every post you make you shouldn't be posting IMNSHO.

As for everybody's postings I was more thinking that some of us might want to
stay out of reach of a potential TI's attempt to get at specific individuals
to make a point (approach people individually rather than approach the
project as a whole).

I personally fail to see why TI would ever have bad feelings towards the
project. But I am not TI...

> As far as the TI copyrights on the text goes, well...  Let's just
> pretend we didn't see them for right now.  We'll worry about them when
> lawyers appear, huh?
>
> > James, you mention E3. Was ist das?
>
> ??? short for "Explorer III".  And E2 and E1 are similar, thus "II"
> or "I"...
>
> As for other LispM abbrevs, there are 'LMI' for "Lisp Machines
> Incorporated", and 'SMBX' or 'Bolix' for "Symbolics, Inc" (from their
> stock exchange code), both of which may pop up here occasionally.
> 'Exploder' is an affectionate name for the Explorer, and also an
> occasional typo.  'R6' is the name of the last release of the Explorer
> System Software (the Explorer OS as it were), short for "Release 6".
> Are there any other obvious ones?  LispM names are (MIT) CONS, CADR,
> (Symbolics) LM-2, 36xx, XL400, XL1200, XL1201, (Xerox) Dorado,
> Dolphin, Dandelion, ..., and a handful of other companies
> (particularly one or two Japanese ones I don't remember, and Siemens
> for a European entry in the market).

For a second, I thought that E3 was a super-secret next-generation kick-ass
lisp machine developed by TI in a spooky underground research facility, but
which never saw the light of sun killed by their new VP of strategic
marketing.

Well, you killed my dream. Sigh...

> 'james
>
> I only inserted the Japanese up there because I could.  Kterm2,
> XEmacs/Mule, and Canna work great even over telnet! ^_^

Kmail doesn't like them at all. The whole message is blanked out.

Emmanuel