[LispM-Hackers] Machine move

James A. Crippen james@UnLambda.COM
Thu, 10 May 2001 19:07:36 -0800 (AKDT)

Okay, I know I've been promising this for a long time but kappa is finally
going to be moving home this weekend, guaranteed.  The problem I've been
having is that the tiny SPARCclassic that I have for gamma, the backup
domain name server, is being uncooperative in terms of compile time and
disk space for getting bind and ssh installed on it such that I can have
it running correctly.

Finally I worked out what to do.  Using the 'sparc32' program I can
simulate a 32-bit Sparc environment on Kappa, a 64-bit UltraSparc.  So I
can do the compiling on there, install the programs into a fake directory
hierarchy, tarball it, then uncompress on the SPARCclassic.  Problem
solved.

So I'm doing this currently.  Therefore kappa will be down for a short
period of time when the move occurs, which will be either tomorrow or
Saturday, during the evening in Alaska (which at this time of year isn't
much of an evening -- it's light until about 2300 hours).  I will write a
message to the list and make certain it gets sent out to everyone
successfully before I down the machine.  Once it's up I will send another
message to the list (or by other means, as necessary) announcing its
availability and the new IP address (which you may want to put in your
/etc/hosts file or the equivalent HOSTS.TXT on your OS until the domain
system settles its caches).

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,