[LispM-Hackers] Updated web page

Carl Shapiro cshapiro@panix.com
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 13:47:41 -0500 (EST)

   From: Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it>
   Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 17:22:06 +0100

   The book:

     "The Brain Makers - The Quest for Machines that Think"
     Harvey Newquist
     SAMS Publishing, 1994
     ISBN 0-672-30412-0

   provides extensive details on LispM vendors and, more generally, on the AI
   business. It also covers the LMI/TI deal you refer to. The book is a
   fascinating reading, but it lacks technical details. I bought a used copy
   from Amazon for 23$ on July 2000.

Most of the Lisp Machine history in that book is full of errors and I
really wouldn't consider it to be gospel.  Newquist got an incredible
amount of history backwards and wrong.

   If I recall correctly, major facts about AI vendors are also summarized in
   the thesis:

     "If It Works, It's Not AI"

   http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/ai-business.pdf

This is one of two student written papers I have seen on the Internet
which basically borrows a ridiculous amount of material from the
Newquist book without ever verifying the correctness of its
information.  The author seems to have filled in a few places with
references to articles from trivial LexisNexis searches.  Many of
these articles are full of errors themselves.

Oh well.