[LispM-Hackers] Re: [Lispm-cvs] CVS update: e3

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:18:10 -0500

Hi;

Dan Moniz wrote:
> This is a bit old now, as it deals with Cygwin b.20, but you may find it
> helpful. If you're interested, try emailing Mumit and ask him if he has an
> updated version of this or pointers to a more revelent document.
>
> Building Mingw executables using Cygwin
> <http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mno-cygwin-howto.txt>

Thanks!  This was all very informative.  (At work, due to customer
demand, we use DevStudio (remind me to tell you the horror stories about
finding out that not all the C++ keywords are supported in the
"standard" edition!), so I am completely clueless about using Cygwin.)

One Big Surprise was the fact that anything that uses the Cygwin DLLs
must be GPL (do I get this right?).

While that might be a possibility in the future (I personally like the
Qt style multiple licenses which include the GPL under well-defined
circumstances -- we use Qt at work and quite happily pay the license
fees per seat), I hate to be told what I can and cannot do with the
software I write.

I guess this means mingw it is.  Back to the drawing board.

-jm

--
==== John Morrison
==== MAK Technologies Inc.