[LispM-Hackers] Status on Kappa move

James A. Crippen james@UnLambda.COM
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:25:56 -0800 (AKDT)

Currently Kappa isn't going anywhere for about a week.  I have a deadline
on Monday to meet that preempts everything else, and I won't have time
over the weekend to complete the move.  However, I do have the Ultra 5
with Linux installed and most of the data copied over.  At some point I'd
like to swap the IP addresses for it and old Kappa and send some mail to
myself to see how it behaves.  If that part of it works then I can work on
the rest (like getting the web server working, etc) later.

Subsequent to switching boxen I'll take new Kappa home and ensconce it in
my rack permanently.  It will then be at that IP address for a long time.

Subsequent to that I'll be getting an OpenBSD firewall in place between
new Kappa and the net.  I'll make sure to pass SSH, FTP, CVS, HTTP, and
similar traffic, but new Kappa will be a tad bit more secure (and hence
slightly more unaccessible -- like Telnet may disappear).  It will however
remain on a public IP address.

I'll post more news later when I get around to the address swap and
service testing.  Hopefully I'll be able to send the mail from new Kappa.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,