[LispM-Hackers] Directory hierarchy

James A. Crippen james@UnLambda.COM
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:24:40 -0800 (AKDT)

I have a question about the e3 source tree hierarchy.  Should we start
separating functionality into multiple directories to avoid clutter?

I'm thinking of something like the following:

e3-0.1.0/
  00README.txt (stuff to know before building or installing)
  INSTALL.txt (installation instructions)
  LICENSE.txt (copyright and software license)
  Makefile (the makefile, obviously)
  /docs (documentation, obviously)
  /lisp (any lisp code for TI Lisp, including neat hacks, extensions,
         perhaps even the OS source tree at some point)
  /sys/ (system specifc code)
      /arch/ (architecture specific code)
           /alpha
           /i386
           /ia64
           /mips
           /mips64
           /ppc
           /sparc
           /sparc64
      /os/ (OS specific code)
         /bsd/{Free,Net,Open}
         /decunix
         /fe (bare iron, ie Fe, get it?)
         /irix
         /linux
         /macos (only applies to >= MacOS X)
         /solaris
         /win32
  /ui/ (user interface code)
     /gfx (graphics, including any display libs)
     /hid (human interface device glue, eg mouse, keyboard)
     /tty (terminal interface, like console output, etc)
  /ucode (microcode implementing the macrocode engine)

How's this sound to people?  Make suggestions, etc.  At some point we'll
lay out the hierarchy and modify the CVS server (this takes some minor
surgery that I can do) and then we'll have it.

BTW I am assuming a version number akin to those used for the Linux
kernel, thus MACROVERSION.MICROVERSION.NANOVERSION, perhaps including the
methodology of even microversion means stable, odd microversion means
developmental, and macroversion < 0 means still unreleased and alpha,
macroversion < 0 & microversion = 9 means beta release to public.  The
numbering convention is debatable.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,