[LispM-Hackers] BDF versions of Explorer fonts for X UI

James A. Crippen james@UnLambda.COM
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 17:23:10 -0800 (AKDT)

I was looking in the Explorer sources that I recently exploded on Kappa
and I can't find anything in the way of BDF fonts included in there.  I
note that the x11m subdir in the explorer-lispm-sources directory has a
fonts dir, beneath that the directories are empty except for a fonts.dir
file which references fonts in the Exploder's XLD font format, not
BDF.  Before I bother to write a program to convert all the XLD fonts into
BDF fonts I'm wondering if anyone has the BDF versions of the Exploder
system fonts on hand that they can upload or provide for download.

We'll need the BDF fonts to start with an X interface which I'm thinking
of prototyping RSN.  I'm going to try my hand at crufting a simple bitmap
console program in Xlib, Xtk, Xaw, and possibly Qt, WxWindows, and
anything else that catches my fancy as far as X widget libraries go.
Once I've got one or two versions written I'll look into gluing them
together with an abstracted API that provides character cell and bitmap
display, enough to start bootstrapping the graphics miscops.

I'm also thinking of getting some crude form of XLD display worked out so
we can use the XLD fonts directly, but I'm not there yet.

Before someone starts wondering why I'm trying to get character cell stuff
working instead of only doing bitmaps, the reason is so that we can
provide a text-based console which uses the same display mechanism as the
e3 display UI.  I also think that if we support character cell display
directly from the underlying graphics display system then we can relieve a
large chunk of the bitmap mangling that would be necessary to display
fonts.  Now, I could be wrong and this could be unworkable, but I get the
feeling that every graphics display system we'll be using for a UI has
ingrained support for displaying character cells independently of bitmaps,
and that supporting the underlying character cell support would be *much*
faster in the end than doing our own by hand via the bitmap display
mechanisms.

Anyhow, if someone could look around and see if they have the BDFs of any
of the system fonts that I can use then I'd be grateful.  They'll also
help in comparing bitmap-based XLD rendering versus character cell
whatever rendering, whenever the direct XLD drawing start to work.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,