[LMH] Oldspace?

nyef@sc.am nyef@sc.am
Wed May 26 05:59:01 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 11:51:41PM -0500, Steve Krueger wrote:
> Alastair,
>
> Here is how it works on Explorer I:
>
> After a memory read, the level 1 memory map is run again on the data
> returned in order to get the oldspace bit.  This bit is bit 10 (decimal)
> of the Level 1 map.

Okay, that's about what I was hoping for.

Now, for the GCVF stuff, the EXPT tests set up the level-2 map values,
do a memory read (?), do the ((MD) SETM MD) thing just as for a write,
set up the level-1 map values, and then dispatch. I'm assuming then that
any read or write activity caches the level-2 map value from VMA and
then the dispatch compares the GCV fields from the cached level-2 map
and the level-1 map for the contents of MD at dispatch time to find the
GCVF value. Does this model bear more than a passing resemblance to
reality?

> I just dashed this off.  I hope it isn't too cryptic.

Not at all. Exactly what I wanted to know, and some extra background
information. Thank you.

>    -Steve

--Alastair