[LMH]kick me

Brad Parker brad@heeltoe.com
Mon May 10 18:38:00 2004

James A. Crippen wrote:

>> I've been OCR'ing all the code in it, which includes code to
>> produces the microcode, and perhaps, the microcode simulator.  I've
>> been running some of it, and making some progress.  My lawyer friend
>> says that I can get away with distributing the text of the entire
>> patent, and a script which edits the patent text into usable lisp
>> files, and not violate any copyright issues. We'll see.
>
>Are you really sure about that? I think that the copyright still
>applies outside of the context of the patent, thus redistribution of
>the patent per se is legal, but the files which are contained within
>it are also copyrighted outside of the patent as well.

sure I'm not :-)  I'm told that, as you say, redistribution of the patent
is legal.  And, distribution of a script which operates on the patent
files is legal.

so, as long as the script is run by someone else (and they don't
redistribute the files), I'm ok.

does that sound better/more plausible?

I respect copyrights and don't wish to violate them.  But I also like
the notion of "hobbiest/academic use", so I'm trying to strike a balance.

-brad

ps:

>Of course, I have an ulterior motive as well. Someday I will take over
>the world with my evil LispM-powered giant robot hordes. But that's
>later.

well, sure, of course.  me too.

:-)