[LMH]Movitz

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Fri Jan 16 16:17:01 2004

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:

> james@unlambda.com (James A. Crippen) writes:
>
>> Absolutely! PCs can be Lisp machines too. But Movitz isn't a LispM OS
>> yet, it's still got a ways to go. Not much development support on it
>> yet. No filesystem, or editor, for instance. Give it some time and it
>> might be a real winner though.
>
> Movitz's strength is probably that it's based on Common Lisp, not some
> sort of Scheme or Lisp dialect.

Indeed. Its compiler runs in any random CL (or can with minimal
effort). Being low-level it is unfortunately going to be hard to port,
but I think that IA-32 (x86) architecture is becoming a virtual
machine in some ways, given the development of Bochs and VMware. So
all you need is a JIT compiler that goes from x86 to some real
instruction set.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> Lambda Unlimited
61.2204N, -149.8964W                     Recursion 'R' Us