[LMH]Video cards for MicroExplorer?

Carl Shapiro cshapiro@panix.com
Tue Sep 2 22:15:01 2003

   From: Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com>
   Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:24:11 -0700

   First off, how do MacOS and the Lisp Machine coexist?  When the lisp
   machine is running, does it completely take over the display, or does
   it run in a window?

The console for the microExplorer normally runs inside of a Macintosh
window.  However, the LispM half of your Mac can also access the
toolbox directly, thereby giving one to the ability applications that
run without a console window.

   Does anyone know which video cards are supported?  Is it anything that
   Mac OS 6.0.8 will support, or is it a subset (based on the assumption
   that the lisp machine is directly talking to the video board)?

You can use just about any Nubus graphics cards with the microExplorer
software.  The microExplorer draws to the screen like any other
macintosh application, no special hardware is required.  If you are in
need of a Nubus graphics card, I have several brand new Radius 8xj
boards which I would gladly share with fellow uExp users for $5 plus
the cost of shipping.  These boards will drive your display at
1152x870, a comfortable resolution for LispM usage.

FYI, you don't need to suffer with System 6.  System 7.X works just
fine with the simple addition of a keyboard resource.