[LMH]Still alive

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Fri Oct 10 06:35:03 2003

Hi all, just a quick note to say that I'm still alive. I'm heads down
right now for school because I've got a midterm coming up that covers
*half a book* worth of Cultural Anthropology and the test is written
with closed book. Whee. And I'm trying to absorb Japanese as fast and
as much as I possibly can given that I'm not actually living in
Japan. So I've been away from terminal for a while. I have been
getting straight As though, which makes me happy.

On the gripping hand I'm going to be in a Japanese noh-style play with
other members of the UAA Japanese club. It'll be fun to dress up in
kimono and hakama and play a drum erratically. Doing crap for the club
like helping with the play, fundraising (making obento for sale on
campus), and the like is also putting a dent in my hacking time. Whine
whine.

I promise to get back to hacking after the midterm is over. Veronica
(the wife) just got a brand spanking new Mac G5 with ultra-awesome
Studio Display. The machine is *amazingly* quiet for having like ten
fans in it or something. Naturally this is an excuse for me to try to
get OpenMCL running. And to try to build a Cocoa app in Lisp. Which is
such a potential cycle-sucker that I'm going to force myself not to do
it otherwise the fscking server upgrade will never get done here.

Anyhow, I'm still alive. Nights are getting much longer here and as
winter sets in I'll be much more willing to spend time indoors hacking
instead of outside freezing my appendages off.

(Oh, the University network is like three hops from unlambda.com which
makes for great telnet access from school. So I'll have fun at school
with my laptop. Need to find out if CVS is passed by the firewall
though.)

Happy Hacking,
'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> Lambda Unlimited
61.2204N, -149.8964W                     Recursion 'R' Us