[LMH]BIGNUM format?

Nyef nyef@softhome.net
Sun Jun 15 08:44:01 2003

Hello all.

Can I have a reality check? SSDN2, section 7.8.6.1 appears to say that
BIGNUMs are stored in sign-magnitude format. Section 7.5.1 says that
FIXNUMs are stored in 2s-complement format. ClTl says (I forget where)
that LDB and DPB treat all integers as being in 2s-complement form.

My questions are:

    Are BIGNUMs -really- stored as sign-magnitude, and not 2s-complement?

    Do LDB and DPB behave, to a user, as if BIGNUMs are stored as
2s-complement, as per ClTl, or does the abstraction break down there?

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net