[LMH]Musing

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Wed Aug 27 05:12:01 2003

Hi;

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 06:38 pm, Mike McDonald wrote:
> >To: LispM-Hackers@lists.unlambda.com
> >Subject: Re: [LMH]Musing
>
> From: james@unlambda.com (James A. Crippen)
>
> >Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:25:54 -0800
> >
> >And if TI won't open the sources, well, then we'll just have to start
> >over on some new system software, won't we? I'm sure we could get the
> >CADR sources from somewhere. I keep hearing about them occasionally.
>
>   If you can find them, problem solved. MIT has already said they
> would release the CADR sources but they can't find a copy. And as far
> as I've heard, no one else has found them either.

I have been chasing people both at the MIT Technology Licensing Office
for quite some time on this account.  The person I used to deal with
left, and now I'm pestering her replacement.  All the technical folk
are fine with this.  I've even lined up an 8 track drive to read the
tapes with

However, the TLO hasn't given me a green light.  Frankly, I do not
know why.  I can only speculate.

Come to think of it, I haven't nagged her in a few months.  I guess
it's about time to try again.

-jm

p.s., Hey, Mike, thanks for making McCLIM happen.  I am actually
getting to use Common Lisp for something I couldn't have were my
favorite, relatively unencumbered, yet commercial-friendly Lisp
implementation (CMUCL) lacking a readily-available GUI.  (Don't get me
wrong -- I am happy to pay for commercial software -- we have paid
tens of thousands in Qt licenses -- but even that happened after
man-months to man-years of "fly before you buy" by many experienced
C++ hackers -- and I couldn't have swung big cash for a license for a
language+GUI only one out of the 45 of us knew.)