[LispM-Hackers] MList notes

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Thu Mar 28 19:08:01 2002

"Evgeni V. Trifonov" <trif@dvo.ru> writes:

> On 28 Mar 2002, James A. Crippen wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >   Sweden
> >   Alaska
> >
> As we can see from the list, Alaska is independent from the USA now? :)
> However, Alaska is independent from its nineteenth-century
> big brother (Russia) too... :))

Hehehe...  Sure, the Starye Veri that live in places like Nikolaevsk
are still very adamant about remaining independent from Russia.
Enough to where they refuse to adapt their Russian to modern Russian
anyway...  The Siberians I know (more than a few people here from
Magadan, Providenja, etc) seem to have a similar attitude about the
rest of Russia.  It must have something to do with living this far
north and so close to the International Date Line...

Alaska has always had a bit of an 'independent' spirit.  Even after it
became a State of the USA in 1959 there's remained an attitude that
Alaska is somehow still not part of the greater US of A.  Enough to
where the rest of the US is referred to as 'Outside' by most
residents.  Or as 'the Lower 48'.  Or even more acerbically as
'America'.  As in the following exchange that I may or may not have
participated in:

"Seattle?  You're going to America?  What th'hell for?  What's Outside
that you want so badly?"

"There's good steak and cheap gas."

"Oh.  I s'pose that's a reason.  You flying Alaska [Airlines]?"

"Yeah.  The FAA hasn't shut'em down yet."

"Good luck.  Maybe you'll come back in one piece."

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W