[LispM-Hackers] Interrupts work (mostly), and Yet Another Question

jm@mak.com jm@mak.com
Mon Mar 11 10:26:01 2002

Hi;

"James A. Crippen" wrote:

> Tim Moore <moore@bricoworks.com> writes:

> > > Uhh, where's the compiler?
> > >
> > > 'james
> >
> > Indeed.  I'd think the plan would be to devote all your energy to getting
> > the emulator running on the most convenient platform e.g., Linux, so you
> > then have access to the compiler and can hack the system however you want
> > for bare metal.
>
> Right.  I'm in favor of building all the low level stuff in Lisp, but
> we don't have a Lisp system to build within yet.  And there's no way
> I'd see doing something like using CMUCL to build the bare metal stuff
> as a good idea.  It would just result in a bare metal CMUCL system
> being built with E3 running on top of it.  That's silly in my
> opinion.  I think the bare metal stuff is great, but to do it right
> (ie, in Lisp) we don't have the tools yet, and making them would be
> prohibitive (anyone written an x86 Lisp compiler lately?).

I know this is kind of, er, twisted, but...

If we get the Linux version running, can't we just put the code in the
band (probably as the contents of an editor buffer?), and then save the
band, and then boot that band on the emulator, and then compile the
buffer contents?

I realize this presupposes having a fully functional Linux version, and
enough of the bare iron stuff to fire up the compiler.

-jm

--
==== John Morrison
==== MAK Technologies Inc.