[LispM-Hackers] More bare iron progress

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Fri Mar 8 17:21:01 2002

John Morrison <jm@mak.mak.com> writes:

> (1) Decimal format printing does not work to the console.

Whee...  Can you print hex or octal?  Can you print at all?

> (2) I'm sure many other things don't work.

Oh yeah, you don't have an OS.  You'll be in for lots of
implementation...

> (1) Whether interrupts still work.

Why not?

> (1) Now would be a good time to let me know whether the inheritance
> scheme is acceptable.  If so, I can start making changes to the code
> to make it more compatible with e3 (e.g., change all my "jju32" types
> to "e3u32" etc.)  I will have to make at least one CVS directory, etc.

Go for it.  I can't find anything wrong with the idea so far.  But
before you change anything take a moment to outline how you think it
will work here on the list.  We'll all poke holes in it and give your
ideas some constructive criticism before anything is cast in stone.

> (a) Rip out the BOOTP stuff, because almost nobody uses it anymore (I
> couldn't even FIND one that would build on my RedHat 7.2 box).

I thought the ISC dhcpd could support BOOTP with the appropriate
compile time incantations?  I haven't built it for six months so I
don't remember...

> (b) Leave it, and add the DHCP stuff as a compile-time switch.

Leave it in and do this for now.

> (c) Try to make the ersatz ucode REALLY clever.  ("Was I Etherbooted?
> If so, was DHCP or BOOTP used?  If not, was I GRUB-booted?  How do I
> find the load band?")

If you take option (a) above this can be implemented later.

> (d) Try to make it not care how it was booted to the maximum extent
> possible.

Uhh, this would be good too, n'est-ce pas?

In short, both (b) and (d) and later maybe (c).

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W