[LispM-Hackers] Can't load band on Linux: core dump (N928.LOAD)

Nyef nyef@softhome.net
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:25:43 -0500 (EST)

On 3 Jan 2002, James A. Crippen wrote:

> One thing is that the code that finds the band is *really* stupid.  It
> expects a file "N928.LOAD" to exist in the current directory, nowhere
> else.  That file has to be readable, and if it isn't then e3 silently
> fails.  If the file doesn't exist it also silently fails, just as you
> see above.  And it wants *ALL UPPERCASE*, so "n928.load" won't work.
>
> Maybe I'll look at that code and add some error checking there.  I'll
> post the list when I do and you can check out a new copy.

While you're at it, some systems _don't_ fail silently, they ignore the
fact that they can't find the load band and just keep going, which causes
a whole other set of problems... (for whatever reason, the new stream gets
created and returned from new even though the file isn't there).

> 'james

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net