[LispM-Hackers] 645 page, 35MB PDF file of Symbolics patent

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
31 Dec 2001 16:32:36 -0900

John Morrison <jm@mak.com> writes:

> For posterity's sake, I have uploaded the Symbolics patent to
> /home/lispm on kappa.  It is supposed to contain Lots Of Good
> Information (like microcode listings, etc.) although I confess I have
> not read it yet.

I have.  The microcode listings aren't.  They're octal dumps.  Which
is fun to type in, I'm sure.  They look OCRable for anyone trying to
disassemble them, btw...

Actually you could probably recreate nearly all of the 3600 using just
the patent.  It's that detailed.  I have a printout of it that weighs
a few pounds.  It has all the sources you need to get booting, I
think.

What I'd kill for is a similar document for the Explorer.  But
unfortunately TI wasn't silly enough to patent their entire machine,
just some interesting parts of it, mostly hardware.

> Please be advised that it is 645 pages (or so) and 35MB (or so), so
> please play nicely with us other children in the bandwidth sandbox.
>
> It is named "pat4887235.pdf.gz"

In order to save Just A Few More Bytes Of Space I recompressed it with
bzip2 instead of gzip.  This also to annoy people with a longer
decompression time... :-)

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W