[LispM-Hackers] Outageness

Nyef nyef@softhome.net
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:38:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 ford@objs.com wrote:

> Nyef wrote:
>
> > I don't suppose anyone has a copy of SPECIFICATION:  EXPLORER II
> > PROCESSOR, part number 2540834, do they? (or is that Explorer II Processor
> > Board Specification, part number 2540834-0001?)
>
> I don't have a manual with that part number or name, but I have:
>
> Explorer II TM Processor and Auxiliary Processor Options General Description
> 2537187-0001  Orig  Jun 87 .
>
> What are you looking for?

I'm looking for a detailed description of how the microcode works. Not
merely what all the fields are called and the names for the possible
values (gleaned from the general description document you mention above
and the stuff in the ucode directory in the lisp machine source tree), but
what they mean, how they interact, etc. In short, enough information to
write my own microcode or a microcode interpreter or to be able to
understand a disassembly of the microload band.

I'm also hoping for a description of the input syntax for the microcode
assembler, since that would make it easier to know what parts of the raw
output from a disassembler can be elided.

> Steve

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net