[LispM-Hackers] FYI regarding x86 pc and etherboot

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:15:32 -0500

Hi;

"James A. Crippen" wrote:
> Do you recall exactly what funny options that dhcpd needed to be on
> in order for vendor options to work correctly?

That stuff is documented here (note the "screw you and don't ask us"
tone):

http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/dhcpv3-README.html

However, be advised that I didn't find it extremely obvious which
options were the right ones when I used "xconfig" to select my kernel
options, even if I did luck out and get it right the first time (that
has to be a first for me).

I am running a 2.4 vintage kernel (so I could get the big IDE disk
support), and these instructions are for a 2.2 vintage kernel, so I
recall some of the paths were different.  Maybe that was part of the
problem.  I dunno.

The magic about getting the DHCP reply right is documented here ==
basically it looks like you've got to type in the ascii codes for the
strings you want...

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/pxe.howto.html

-jm

--