[LispM-Hackers] Who is doing what?

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:07:25 -0500

Hi;

Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> There should be at least one free (speech & beer) MS-DOS
> implementation--i.e. a complete rewrite. If I recall correctly, it's called
> FreeDOS or something like that.

Yes, thank you, that is the one I had in mind.

Do you happen to know off the top of your head whether it can run DOS
drivers?  While aesthetically, I would prefer not to run on any other OS
(and whether DOS counts as an OS would be a highly entertaining
discussion), writing lots of drivers doesn't seem like a whole lot of
fun (I have written UNIX drivers in the past, and while Etherboot would
make this a lot less painful than the "login, edit, compile, reboot,
kdb" loop), I still do not relish the prospect.

That's why the loadable Linux kernel module seems appealing, although I
suspect the Devil is in the details, and I've never written any Linux
kernel code (I do not know how much like a vanilla BSD/SysV Unix it is
under the hood).  Is anybody on the mailing list here a Linux kernel
Stud?

Also, is anybody on the list an SVGAlib stud?  Maybe a user-mode program
without X would be OK?

Maybe using SDL or something like that to deal with the hardware?  Is
anybody out there an SDL stud?  I have only built the demos (for
evaluation for use at the Day Job), so I don't know how great it is.
Isn't it also purported to be cross-platform?

-jm

--
==== John Morrison
==== MAK Technologies Inc.