[LispM-Hackers] Outageness

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:08:41 -0500

Hi;

Nyef wrote:
> Right now it's basically impossible to run E3 with 192MB of memory (RAM +
> Swap). I have a little more than that, and it still chokes (funny messages
> from the kernel VM system and everything).

What OS are you using, if I may be so bold as to ask?  What is the exact
complaint?

Maybe that this is analogous to the problem of running CMUCL on Linux
(which, by the way, I personally ran into) - you've got to tell the
kernel that "hey, it's OK to 'overcommit' memory."  I think you have to
do something heinous like echo a "1" into some /proc pseudo-file (geez,
am I the only guy around here that feels he needs to take a shower when
he does something like that?  Don't even get me started about trying to
put a 160GB disk on my Linux box ... ugh).

> > > There's a pile of textified chapters of ssdn2 that aren't on unlambda.com
> > > up at http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/lispm/ssdn2/ and now that there appears
> > > to be a point again I may find time to do a few more soon...
> >
> > I'm still caught up with taking care of networking things, so I'll
> > get to that soon, though not instantly.
>
> Okay, just making sure that you know that they're there.

Bless you.  I shall go and try and scam, er, download them.  Thanks for
the help!

-jm

--
==== John Morrison