[LispM-Hackers] Outageness

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
23 Feb 2002 01:56:31 -0900

Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk> writes:

> James A. Crippen wrote:
> >Nyef <nyef@softhome.net> writes:
> >> While unlambda was gone I noticed that E3 is allocating _four times_ as
> >> much memory as it needs during startup (compare the size of an instance of
> >> e3MemMap to the size of the load band), which runs my system close to out
> >> of swap space (possible fixes include: doing a check against the different
> >> memory regions, emulating part of the memory management hardware (page
> >> hash table and such), (ab)using the UN*X mmap() syscall, and simply
> >> declaring it a feature).
>
> >mmap() is Not Allowed because it's not portable to, say, PalmOS.  Or
> >(possibly) to Windows.  It's too un*x specific.
>
> There is a Win32 equivalent of mmap that works fine. I can provide an
> example if it allows us to use mmap() under UNIX.
>
> Data is in memory anyway on PalmOS, but you would run into the 32k limit
> on an individual record long before you hit any other limits.

I knew that, honest. :-)  I was just using that as an example.

JM has some better argued reasons for avoiding mmap().  We had this
argument two years ago IIRC.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W