[LispM-Hackers] Bandwidth abuse notice

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
23 Feb 2002 01:26:46 -0900

A certain luser from 'dialup-64.152.175.109.dial1.newyork1.level3.net'
(64.152.175.109) used a mirroring program called HTTrack
(http://www.httrack.com) to hammer www.unlambda.com, opening up fifty
TCP sockets at a time and maxing the transfer through each one.  Not
only did this piss off my router and firewall but it soaked my link in
the middle of some work I was doing.  Needless to say, I blocked this
address.  I did it nicely, sending back RST for every connection,
rather than just dropping packets on the floor.  From now on however
that IP is going to get ICMP code 11 back for all its attempts.

My bandwidth is not free.  Please don't gratuitously abuse my
bandwidth because I pay out of pocket for it.  I'm not a rich dot.com
millionaire, nor do I own a large defense contracting agency.  I pay
regular residential prices plus extra fees for static IP, *and* I had
to buy fscking cable TV and long distance that I didn't want (isn't
bundling great?).  All in all that's a lot of money for someone who's
unemployed.  To save some bandwidth please use things like CVS's -z
option (I recommend -z9) and on-the-fly FTP compression.

If you want to download some of the large files (and I understand that
the E3 data files and docs are pretty big) please do them
one-at-a-time, not N-at-a-time where N is the max number of sockets
your OS can create.  This leaves me some bandwidth left over to use,
and doesn't chew up all the free NAT table entries in my router.

If you really want to mirror something (or everything) then please
discuss this with me first.  I can tell you what you should bother
mirroring and what you shouldn't (some of the files on kappa are
really superfluous but kept for hysterical raisins), and what times
would be good to do the mirroring.  I can also set up something that
compresses the traffic.  I'm perfectly happy to make Kappa's processor
spin a little more to save me from getting an outrageous bill at the
end of the month.

\end{rant}
'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W