[LispM-Hackers] Outageness

Nyef nyef@softhome.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:30:49 -0500 (EST)

On 22 Feb 2002, James A. Crippen wrote:

> Unlambda.com's outage is now over.  It may take a while for all the
> nameservers with cached data to flush, so not all locations on the net
> may be able to find it yet.  However, the root nameservers know where
> it is, so nameservice should work everywhere in about a week or so.

Welcome back. Got a couple things for you that have been waiting a
while now...

While unlambda was gone I noticed that E3 is allocating _four times_ as
much memory as it needs during startup (compare the size of an instance of
e3MemMap to the size of the load band), which runs my system close to out
of swap space (possible fixes include: doing a check against the different
memory regions, emulating part of the memory management hardware (page
hash table and such), (ab)using the UN*X mmap() syscall, and simply
declaring it a feature).

There's a pile of textified chapters of ssdn2 that aren't on unlambda.com
up at http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/lispm/ssdn2/ and now that there appears
to be a point again I may find time to do a few more soon...

> 'james

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net