[LispM-Hackers] Latex

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Tue Apr 23 12:54:01 2002

Emmanuel Rialland <eriallan@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> On Tuesday 23 April 2002 10:23, you wrote:
> > I'm thinking of something like the 'Changebar' package, similar to
> > what GLS used in the CLtL2 book.  You can see what was original and
> > what is new since the new stuff has a changebar notation in the
> > margin.
> >

> Is that a standard Latex package?

Should be, I think.

> I was half joking, more reflecting on your earlier comments about keeping
> things discreet with TI for a while and not existing anybody unnecessarily.

I just felt the desire to flame... {{>_<}}

> As for everybody's postings I was more thinking that some of us
> might want to stay out of reach of a potential TI's attempt to get
> at specific individuals to make a point (approach people
> individually rather than approach the project as a whole).

I've thought about this.  It'd be nice to have a non-profit org to
hide behind.  But getting the legal miscellany performed is
cash-consumptive, as well as being a PITA.

I really would like to have legal protection if TI ever does decide to
come down on us.  But I think we'll remain under the radar for some
time to come, so there's no worry yet.

If and when we do make some sort of legally independent organization
to hold the E3 Project, I think we should retcon all the mail, code,
docs, etc over to the org's ownership.  Then TI could only legally get
angry at the org, not the individuals.

But I don't want to worry about such things right now.  They're too
annoying.

> For a second, I thought that E3 was a super-secret next-generation kick-ass
> lisp machine developed by TI in a spooky underground research facility, but
> which never saw the light of sun killed by their new VP of strategic
> marketing.
>
> Well, you killed my dream. Sigh...

Well, aside from not being developed by TI, and that my house has no
basement for a spooky underground research facility, E3 is a
super-secret next-generation kick-ass lisp machine.  Or will be.
Especially when we start gluing external goodies into the back end,
like OpenGL...

> Kmail doesn't like them at all. The whole message is blanked out.

You have to have Japanese fonts and a reader that has i18n support for
Japanese.  Most people lack this because it's superfluous for their
needs.

But it's still fun to send people big wads of uninterpretable text.
It makes them wonder what's wrong with their mailer, particularly
since the headers are all perfectly intact.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W