[LispM-Hackers] Latex

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Tue Apr 23 01:24:01 2002

Emmanuel Rialland <eriallan@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> I am currently going through the archive of the mailing list to spot
> any commentary enlightening, clarifying or debugging parts of SSDN.

I'm sure I have even older archives of correspondence, particularly
between JM, PF, Ford, and me, but I don't know where I've put them.
If I can get a couple hours to hunt for them I'm sure I'll find them
somewhere in my archives of cruft on my home box.  I'll put them
somewhere when I can.

Beware, you guys.  All those crazy and embarassing things you said are
about to come back to haunt you, just like Google did to Usenet.  O_o

> The intent is to insert those straight on the tex files (as
> footnotes, side boxes...) to centralise the documentation as much as
> possible (James: I agree that is the best).

It would certainly help to simplify things.

I'm thinking of something like the 'Changebar' package, similar to
what GLS used in the CLtL2 book.  You can see what was original and
what is new since the new stuff has a changebar notation in the
margin.

> Being French and being at a loss to understand the US I-love-patents and
> sue-your-neighbour state of mind, I am happily playing with those at home,

Most American people don't understand this state of mind either,
except for marketroids, suits, and politicians.

The Japanese love patents, btw, but for different reasons.  It takes
*a lot* longer for a Japanese patent to clear than it does for an
American one.  This gives *years* of time between filing (when the
patent application is made public) to when the patent is approved.
With adroit production and marketing the original developers of many
patented items have been driven out of business long before their
patent is approved.  They're usually gone by the time of approval, and
the winners just buy the patent from the losers...

So many Japanese inventors wisely avoid patents.  Americans are
starting to do the same, bit by bit, for similar reasons...

> but I suspect I will need to clearly (1) separate copyrights between
> the original text and additions and (2) get the appropriate
> authorisations from the relevant authors of those mails ???

Uh, we should just say something like what applies to Usenet: "If you
post to the mailing list you have basically given up any copyrights
and have put your text in the public domain except for quotes which
belong to their respective copyright holders."

Anyone have a different opinion?  If you really want to claim
copyright on every post you make you shouldn't be posting IMNSHO.

As far as the TI copyrights on the text goes, well...  Let's just
pretend we didn't see them for right now.  We'll worry about them when
lawyers appear, huh?

> James, you mention E3. Was ist das?

’¤½’¤ì’¤Ï short for "Explorer III".  And E2 and E1 are similar, thus "II"
or "I"...

As for other LispM abbrevs, there are 'LMI' for "Lisp Machines
Incorporated", and 'SMBX' or 'Bolix' for "Symbolics, Inc" (from their
stock exchange code), both of which may pop up here occasionally.
'Exploder' is an affectionate name for the Explorer, and also an
occasional typo.  'R6' is the name of the last release of the Explorer
System Software (the Explorer OS as it were), short for "Release 6".
Are there any other obvious ones?  LispM names are (MIT) CONS, CADR,
(Symbolics) LM-2, 36xx, XL400, XL1200, XL1201, (Xerox) Dorado,
Dolphin, Dandelion, ..., and a handful of other companies
(particularly one or two Japanese ones I don't remember, and Siemens
for a European entry in the market).

'james

I only inserted the Japanese up there because I could.  Kterm2,
XEmacs/Mule, and Canna work great even over telnet! ^_^

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W