[LispM-Hackers] Latex of SSDN

James A. Crippen james@unlambda.com
Fri Apr 12 20:18:01 2002

"eriallan@bigpond.net.au" <eriallan@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> With a bit of time on my hands, a long-time fascination for lisp
> machines and the desire to learn about latex, I have started to
> convert Alastair's text version of the SSDN to Latex.
>
> If, as me, you find that easier to read than pure text files or scans,
> we could add them to the repository (to allow further modif.)
>
> I currently have connection problems so no worries about my possible
> delay to answer.

I'd think that would be a great idea.  Let me mention that fancyvrb
(the fancy verbatim package) in a center environment would be the
ideal way to render the asciigraphical diagrams.  I'd stay away from
using XFig and EPS if possible; firstly because it would simplify
maintenance, and secondly because it would remain true to the original
SSDN.

Note that I started but never followed through (sigh, so typical) on
converting some of the TI Explorer Lisp Reference Manual (aka Lispref)
into LaTeX.  The attempt is in e3/docs/ti-lispref.  You could use this
as a starting point for formatting and LaTeX doc writing standards.

I like the idea of the master edition being in LaTeX.  But I'd like
some scripting to convert back to raw text as well, particularly for
online publication.  Please keep this in mind.  If so done then the
need for 'textual' graphics is more important since it's hard to
convert EPS to ASCII-graphs and back.

I'll be happy to do editing of your work.  I consider myself a very
accomplished LaTeX user, although perhaps not a TeXpert...

\begin{plug}
If you really like \LaTeXe then you should see
\url{http://www.unlambda.com/~james/resume/index.html} for my \LaTeXe
formatted r\'esum\'e.  It's full of interesting and repugnant hackery.
\end{plug}

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W