[LispM-Hackers] Makefile makedepend query

John Morrison jm@mak.com
Mon Apr 8 04:43:00 2002

Hi;

"James A. Crippen" wrote:
> I just did a full clean of my e3 checkout, updated everything, and
> then tried to do a make.
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/include/stdarg.h', needed by `app.o'.  Stop.
>
> That sucks.  Looking at the depend.mk I see that app.o has a *whole
> bunch* of system specific stuff that it suddenly depends on.  Stuff
> that is definitely *not* system independent.  Is this on purpose or on
> accident?  It looks ultra bad to me.  Especially lines like:
>
> app.o: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/include/stdarg.h
>
> which if you note is the source of the error I mentioned above.  I
> don't have this file on my system, and I'm even using a Red Hat
> install!
>
> I don't quite understand why you need this stuff in the first place.
> Is it just a mistake?

First thing you should do is "make depend" and that should be replaced
by your own stdarg.h.  Try it and let me know if the problem goes away
(it should, or we need to muck about with the rules).  I *do* know that
if you don't have depend.mk, the Makefile isn't smart enough to know how
to create it.  We should probably also make depend.mk depend upon all
the source files everywhere to get this to automagically work.

We probably shouldn't even have depend.mk in the CVS repository.

-jm

--
==== John Morrison
==== MAK Technologies Inc.